Yamaha T7 Preproduction Sneak Peak

(Arthur Pappas) #1

Italian publication DueRoute is the first and (so far) only magazine to get its hands on the upcoming Yamaha T7. The preproduction bike looks figgin awesome. I hope the production model looks just as cool!

(Bryon Enns) #2

The T7 looks better than the previous version.

(Arthur Pappas) #3

Seems legit considering how little production bikes resemble their motorcycle-show counterparts these days.

(Clayton James William Walker) #4

I herever the 690 will have 2 cylinders next year. The husky 701 will be slightly better with 2 and a half cylinders.

(Arthur Pappas) #5

Forgetting about vibration, big singles have a tough time meeting emissions. This is the only reason why the current 650’s (DR, XR, & KLR) have been untouched for decades. Changes to these bikes means they have to get recertified, which means they’re done. Expect these bikes to never (meaningfully) change until either the sun runs outa fuel or laws are amended leaving them no longer grandfathered.

(Clayton James William Walker) #6

How does a multi cylinder engine meet emissions easier than a single? The new exc line is emissions legal

(Arthur Pappas) #7

You could read this:

Why is the 650 single-cylinder platform in decline? Two words: Emissions standards.
First off, the 650s, with their comparatively large bore, are going to pollute more, since the cylinders tend to deform when heated up. This results in oil burning, which in turn increases emissions. Smaller cylinders mean less pollutants.
As an example, check the California Air Resource Board’s comparison of the Kawasaki Versys and KLR, both 650s. It appears the single-cylinder KLR produces twice the hydrocarbons per km that its parallel twin cousin does, and six times as much carbon monoxide.

Or you could watch this:

(Clayton James William Walker) #8

Yes. Again I posted my response and then read yours completely. The old bikes are grandfathered in.

(Bryon Enns) #9

Guess I will tell buddy to put the 690 big bore kit on hold for emission reasons.

(Clayton James William Walker) #10

So they have 2 of those in the 1290?

(Arthur Pappas) #11

No, silly – that would be the KTM 1380.

(Arthur Pappas) #12

Looks like Yamaha prefers to show off prototypes instead of building something the public can actually ride. Maybe 2019 for the T7 although I ain’t holding my breath. Same goes for KTM and the vaporware that is the 800 Adventure – a bike that has been ‘coming soon’ since what, 2014?

(Clayton James William Walker) #13

KTM 790 is real.

(Arthur Pappas) #14

It’s a real prototype, yeah.

(Clayton James William Walker) #15

Welp Bryon is getting one. Once he returns from Hawaii if hecdiesnt get the t7.