Touratech West Rally

(Bryon Enns) #1

Riding Area: WA & BC

Date: June 21

Details: Call in sick right now and fire up the DS bike. I am leaving now to ride the Whipsaw, TCT, and WA backcountry route down to the Tourtech rally this weekend in Plaine, WA.

(Arthur Pappas) #2

I. Hate. You. A. Lot. Right. Now.

I expect a multi-paragraph, well structured, grammatically correct ride report w/pics-n-vids.

Be safe!

(Bryon Enns) #3

Whipsaw still has snow on it. Had to backtrack and go out to coal mount the. Pavement to Princeton. Now I am nervous as tomorrow's ride goes to 1950m and the snow was at 1800 m on the whip.

(Bryon Enns) #4

Day two is going good!

(Clayton James William Walker) #5

Tried to get the lowdown from Bryon but he was too busy having fun in the hotdog eating contest.

(Arthur Pappas) #6

That just might be the case. All his pics are broke, too. Hmm....

(Clayton James William Walker) #7

He was certainly excited that his hit dog was ready.

(Bryon Enns) #8

Wow that was a good hot dog. And what happened to all my pics? Turned out my USB port didn't work so my phone was nearly dead most of the trip.

(Arthur Pappas) #9

Hey @KTM-Bryon what headlight you running? Are they LED lights?

(Bryon Enns) #10

Got the new Lynx Fairing installed. It has a powerful 30w LED bulb supplied by Cyclops Adventure Sports and produces an impressive 4000 lumens of light. Paired with the superb Baja Designs 42w Squadron High beam! Haven't been out at night yet but it should never get dark for me again. haha

(Bryon Enns) #11

So here is a summary of day one of the trip.

Went up the TCT Coquihalla River section.

It had three downed trees along the route. The first wasn't too bad, the second was only about 10" in the air and 8" diameter so about 18" over the top.

Fully loaded 690 had no trouble. The final one was getting close to the end of the trail and it gave me some trouble!

I got almost up on it and she slid backwards onto the skid plate. So I popped the clutch and gave her a bit too much throttle. Next thing I know I have both tires on the log but me and the bars & Saddlebags are on the ground. Oh joy!

I got smart then and made a ramp with three old logs and I was outta there! One more log.

Then a blockage. I had to remove a RotoPax and later I think the crash on the tree loosened up my other one and it fell off and is MIA to this very day.

I thought now I am home free but no, now there is now a gate at the Carolin Mine exit. And now I am on the wrong side. Good thing the gate dude living in his motorhome at the gate wasn't too concerned when I said I just come from the TCT and not the mine area. He let me pass. I didn't even have to get technical with him.

(Bryon Enns) #12

Day 1 part 2.

More sweet TCT along Hwy5.

I coulda hung out for lunch at the waterfall here if I weren't on a "DS Mission from God". That's right Madam.

These came up in the wrong order but all from the same section of trail.

Yes, the matrix got me. I got sucked into the end and couldn't rock the rear over and did some heavy lifting.

Good thing the tunnel wasn't long as it was dark in there and I was wearing sunglasses. I think I had more than 1/2 a tank of gas still though.

This water crossing had me paused for about a minute before I crossed. I was thinking of how I would retrieve the big girl if she tried swimming instead of rolling across. Being solo you think about these things. It was over my axle but below the top of the tire as you can see from the fork guard a few inches out of the water in the pic above.

(Clayton James William Walker) #13

Nice pics.

(Bryon Enns) #14

okay, here is some day two action shots etc. See how this looks.

(Clayton James William Walker) #15

It's like I'm on the ride

(Bryon Enns) #16

And here are my day 3 pics. This was day1 of the Rally. I did a short ride that was their most advanced ride. It was a lot easier than riding Sandman but it had really big whoops in it so if you went fast it could be pretty interesting!

Oh an note that buddy with his trailer he was product testing didn't finish the ride towing a trailer. It grenated

(Clayton James William Walker) #17

Something to be said about trails that you can ride a trailer on.

(Bryon Enns) #18

Ya, And they towed it around camp a few times and gave out cold beer from the trailer. I think you should get a trailer @Clayx

(Bryon Enns) #19

Day 4. The last day of the rally and I rode the second hardest ride out of the 11 choices. Good scenic FSR ride.

(Bryon Enns) #20

Day 5 was the ride home on pavement. Found some nice roads and some really busy, dead stop highways that I ended up doing a lot of passing on the right shoulder. Same on TCH from Abbottsford to 200st exit. Rode down the left shoulder for most of it as it was at a dead stop.

Here's some pics of the test ride I did on the DCT Africa Twin. Those Honda guys were okay. They let the Rally participants take the bike out on a 18mile FSR loop all by ourselves.