Race Tech Seminars

(Bryon Enns) #1

So I went to the week long Race Tech suspension seminar Oct 21-27. I was only gonna go to the first ones but once there it was too good to leave early.

Long days in the classroom, 9am to 6pm but lots and lots of info passed on.

Also lots of specifics of leverage ratios on linkage and PDS suspension and what has been found to work best.

Testing day at Milestone with Vince Friesese was very cool. Note: Most riders are not in tune with the suspension to know what’s going on with the bike. One test we ran was adding two more clicks of rebound damping to the rear shock. All Vince could say was the fork didn’t feel right. Also they call Vince “the robot” as he is the best suspension test rider they have ever had. He can feel one or two clicks of change.

This graph’s curve are the difference a mid-valve float makes to the fork damping. The bottom three curves are the limits of the clickers (all the way in, middle, and all the way out) and the top two are 0.05 and 0.10mm less float. Tiny amount more or less float makes a huge difference. Off-roaders want lots of float in the mid-valve (0.5-1.0 mm)
Spring tester and shock dyno. Springs are not so simple! End condition of spring can throw the spring rate way off. The shock dyno can duplicate track testing they have done with data acquisition with different tracks & riders.

haha. Can you believe the last thing we did was study the damper rod set up of a DR350. It was a good attempt at getting cartridge like performance out of a damper rod fork but they made two critical mistakes that basically negated any improvements in fork performance.

I also went to the Malcon Smith shop and museum. Very cool stuff.

And of course stopped at Pro Circuit.

(Clayton James William Walker) #2

Could you please tell me more about the free tee shirt?

(Arthur Pappas) #3

Wow, @KTM-Bryon that’s pretty awesome that you took this course! 7 days of 9am-6pm class on suspension sounds pretty intensive. What made you decide to take this course, and how much was the course itself not including travel costs to/from Cali?

(Bryon Enns) #4

The free T-shirt came with the $2002 US course. What a deal! But wait, for you special price. Just buy $1k in Suspension work and I will include a free T-shirt. Package deal if ya wanna do your Dual Sport, Dirt Bike and kids bike. $3k and 3 shirts.

My garage never looked so good! Okay, it still needs a major clean up but it’s got stickers ready to give away, for free, with every suspension upgrade.

(Frany) #5

So how much for a set of helmet light again?

(Bryon Enns) #6

A common mistake for the guys who sniff the premix. Race Tech doesn’t sell Trail Tech lights.