Linking images to Photobucket

(Arthur Pappas) #1

Photobucket suddenly announced that it will no longer allow linking/embedding to images hosted on its site/servers. This has become very ugly for a lot of people since there are billions of images hosted on Photobucket.

If you're going to post linked images I would suggest not using Photobucket (unless you paid their $400 ransom), but use another service like Google Photos, iCloud, Dropbox, Box, etc.

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

(Clayton James William Walker) #2

What? Why?

(Arthur Pappas) #3

Dunno why they did this, but the obvious guess would be economics. Every single link to images in my Photobucket account is broken; that's years and years worth of links.

They want $400 USD ransom to "fix" it, but it's more satisfying to tell 'em to shove it.

Many industry"insiders" believe Photobucket is simply the first domino to fall, and to expect most image hosting services to be paid services within a handful of years. If that does happen, let's hope they don't surprise their users like Photobucket did by suddenly locking them out and asking for a king's ransom to restore the links...

(Clayton James William Walker) #4

That's too bad. I liked photobucket.