Dirt Bike Magazine Dual Sport Shootout

(Arthur Pappas) #1

Looks like Dirt Bike magazine is in the midst of a dual sport bike shootout. Interesting that they chose the Beta 430 over the 480; maybe they couldn’t get their hands on a 480? The Beta also made the most peak power but the KTM came in with the most low end grunt. The Honda’s suspension seems to be tops but they do rant a bit about it’s weight and it sounds like it likes to flame-out at low revs.

Still early in their review:

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/dual-sport-shootout-notes-the-wrap/

(Clayton James William Walker) #2

Why is the Honda 30 pounds heavier? I bet you could get it down fairly easily. But still ridiculous

(Bryon Enns) #3

Beta is only 8 pounds heaver!! Wow. About time I say but now I am very interested in the 390 Beta. Cheap ICBC and not too heavy. And ya gotta get your suspension done anyway so Sach’s is fine.

(Arthur Pappas) #4

Full alloy subframe, sound deadening material inside the swingarm & engine cases & frame, etc. The Beta does not have to meet the same emissions requirements as KTM & Husky, and KTM/Husky do not have to meet the requirements that Honda has to meet.

It all comes down to the number of unit sold per year, meaning Beta is considered a boutique manufacturer & is subject to the least restrictive requirements.

Oh, when I say ‘emissions’ I don’t just mean exhaust – it also covers noise emissions, drive-by noise, etc. All that shit adds up in weight.

Lastly, KTM & Beta can be a little more aggressive with their engineering & weight savings. This isn’t exactly the case for the Jap manufacturers since the CRF reliability will have to fall in line with other Honda products, whether you’re talking a Gold Wing, Civic, etc.

I dunno if I’d be brave enough to buy an Italian made dual sport. You should go to a dealership & ask 'em to remove the seat to give you a better look at the hornet’s nest of a wiring harness – you’ll shit urself. Electrics are the most common Beta issues.

(Al Willard) #5

What about getting parts. OEM ktm is only 3 days away with free shipping. I think the 390 would be a great bike. That or KTM/Husky 350. One of those I think will be my next DS

(Bryon Enns) #6

Parts? My bikes are ridden smooth & fast so no parts are needed. Not like Baysam Moto Works. LOL

(Frany) #7

Is that honda frame with a ktm motor?