2018 AMA Supercross

(Arthur Pappas) #1

New scoring system in place for the upcoming season. Looks like they don’t want a repeat of last year. I hope the AMA hires Stephen Hawking to run the calculations.

2018 AMA Supercross Preview: As the new year is almost upon us, so, too, is the new Monster Energy/AMA Supercross Series. It all kicks off the weekend following New Year’s Day, and it’s setting up to be a doozy. Here’s what you need to know:

CHANGES
The biggest change for 2018 is the Triple Crown. At three 2018 rounds (round 3 in Anaheim, round 9 in Atlanta, and round 14 in Minneapolis) the main events in both classes will be divided into three, shorter main events. After the qualifying races (without Semis at any events this year) filter the field down to 22 riders in each class, the 250cc class will compete in a 6-minute, 10-minute and 12-minute main event, while the 450cc class will compete in an 8-minute, 12-minute and 15-minute main event.

The finishes will be combined using an Olympic-style scoring system to determine the overall winner. And that winner will earn 26 points, rather than 25 in years’ past. This is so that earning a podium finish will be emphasized (26 points to first, 23 to second, 21 to third, and then 19, 18, 17 on back to 22nd place getting 1 point). Podiums get you two points more than the next finisher, and points are now awarded back through 22nd.

And with the first and second legs of the Triple Crown coming in Anaheim and Minneapolis, that means each 250cc Regional Series (Eastern and Western) will have a Triple Crown event prior to meeting in Minneapolis for the final of the Triple Crowns, where both the East and West will compete in a new East/West Shootout event using the Triple Crown format. Then, as usual, in Las Vegas, the two coasts will meet for a final time before they head to Hangtown for the Nationals to start.

The other big change is that every race will feature metal starting grates behind the starting gates, providing consistent traction and conditions for every racer on the line in every race.

Then there’s the actual schedule. Gone is the Canadian round in Toronto, first off, and the series now starts off at Anaheim, then heads to Houston for round two of the Western swing (even though it’s technically east of Arlington, which will host a 250cc East round this year). The series returns to Tampa in 2018, and will head inside the brand-new, $1.6-Billion Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta for the first time this year as well.

Who will win this year’s championship?

• Ken Roczen
  • Eli Tomac
  • Someone Named Stewart
  • None Of The Above

0 voters

(Bryon Enns) #2

Can’t really be ready to watch the '18 season without checking out the highlights of the '17 season.

Check out:
2017 SX 250 season highlights

2017 SX 450 season highlights

(Bryon Enns) #3

Then in your spare time, watch the '18 preview by KTM-Bryon

2018 SX preview by KTM-Bryon

(Arthur Pappas) #4

Anyone got a line on how to watch A1 :motorcycle: on Sat? In Kelowna here they have Telus tv, meaning I can’t watch it even if I want to pay for it. :grimacing:

(Clayton James William Walker) #5

You have t9 buy it. Baysam had a hook up.

(Arthur Pappas) #6

What is t9?

(Bryon Enns) #7

http://dai.ly/x6cr27z

This guy has a bunch of A1 up already.

(Arthur Pappas) #8

^ It was taken down pretty quickly after it went live. I guess the lawyers called!

I can’t even pay for it on Telus – they said they do not have the channel (whether pay per view or not). This is an issue for pretty much anyone out of the USA. Maybe the AMA can pull their heads outa their asses one day soon?

(Clayton James William Walker) #9

Mmm…no. Vancouver SX was cancelled and there isn’t a TO SX this year. Just not enough of a Canadian market. I mean how do you compete against Murdoch Mysteries?

(Bryon Enns) #10

https://www.rmfantasysx.com/

Check out the fantasy SX. Make your picks and then join the Single Track BC group. Password “Goride”

(Bryon Enns) #11

FYI, I got a Facebook friend, the son of an old MX racing buddy of mine, who’s streaming the SX’s. $20 for all the races 'cept three in Feb when he’s on vacation. It’s a 720p stream and worked pretty good for me last night.

(Arthur Pappas) #12

After round 2:

(Arthur Pappas) #13

Anderson just padded his lead. Gonna be tough to catch him me thinks. Kroc with the whisky throttle was a bit bizarre to see. Who knows how bad he’s hurt…

(Clayton James William Walker) #14

Just watched it. Kroc needs to control his emoticons.

(Arthur Pappas) #15

Tomac is the human equivalent of an on/off switch: last place or first place.