2016 Tour of Idaho Dual Sport Epic Ride

(Clayton James William Walker) #121

Mmmm....prolly not trying to bang this out in 4 days

(Clayton James William Walker) #122

(Arthur Pappas) #123

Yeah not likely considering the amount of time lost to navigational errors especially since you've never ridden it.

(Clayton James William Walker) #124

(Clayton James William Walker) #125

Getting kind of Blair Witchey

(Clayton James William Walker) #126

(Arthur Pappas) #127

Jesus I hope you got the grip heaters installed!

(Clayton James William Walker) #128

You bet they're actually too hot.

(Arthur Pappas) #129

Hey @Clayx it's kool that you're using Photobucket for pics. If you're using a phone to take pics it might be easier to simply upload them directly from your phone by using the Upload tool (upward pointing arrow icon). But Photobucket works good too if that's what u prefer.

(Clayton James William Walker) #130

What arrow?

(Arthur Pappas) #131

I see you figured it out.

(Bryon Enns) #132

Doesn't look like 690 country. I might have to built a long range WR250f for next year!

Great pics Clay.

(Arthur Pappas) #133

@KTM-Bryon Can u plate the WR250F?

(Bryon Enns) #134

Already done. Bought it with WR250r paperwork, hee hee. She is clearly street legal. Maybe I can put a brake light switch and LED turn signals on her to make it look good too.

Safari has a 15.5 litre tank for my bike too. I have an IMS 11.5 on there now but that won't cut it on at least three days on the tour. Day 2, 7 & 8 I think.

(Arthur Pappas) #135

I've always said the WR250R is the most under-rated DS/ADV bike on the market (don't listen to @franhoser). Even the Aussies use it for cross-desert expeditions, etc.

https://youtu.be/CjebEnWlG2M

https://youtu.be/rRmCeDU12Cc

(Clayton James William Walker) #136

Bryon is taking about the real WR250. Not the street model that weighs 350 pounds and has 8 hp.

(Arthur Pappas) #137

You never mind what @KTM-Bryon was talking about, and stick to your ride reports!

(Bryon Enns) #138

Ya. How did the desert treat ya? No snow today I bet.

(Clayton James William Walker) #139

So day one took us awhile to get unloaded and turned around and we didn't get started until 10am. A little behind our 7:30 am start time.

We made it to the Utah border and the Official Tour of Idaho start, I believe I was following tracks on the GPS but then we ran out. So we headed back to the last intersection pushed some buttons and voila purple tracks with my track being yellow over top. Perfect.

We made good time but occasionally the trail intersections and tracks were close and we would end up spun round a little.

Some good climbs up and over the snowline. It is here the 690 would have struggled. But fortunately the snow was just 6" deep so still passable.

About 1/2 way through the day we stopped for a snack and fuel at Swan Lake. It was here that every second house had a feller playing banjo on the front porch. A fairly busy highway runs through Swan Lake so obviously that's where the kids play with their pets...right beside the highway. The owner of the store offered to cook up Al a burger on a waffle iron. Al gave him a funny look.
The store owner said,"Well what do you expect our George Foreman grill is busted up!"

We got to Lava Springs which is a cool little town. The water slides go right over the highway. Our chase driver, Super Doug, was going to meet up with Al and I but gave up on us for dead after waiting for 2 hours. So Al was still just in his moto jersey.
You can drive your SXS on the streets down here in the small towns so they are at the gas stations or parked right on Main Street.

From here we only had about 70 miles to the finish. Some navigation issues but we got it going. Then we hit a hill so greasy a cat couldn't walk across. This took awhile to get up.

Then the sun set and Al dint have much for lights and was falling behind. So he suggested I ride behind him and he could use my light. I think next time he will hafta just put his helmet light on.

Got into Pocatello about 9pm. Took today off.

(Clayton James William Walker) #140

Bike maintenance today.

Cool pic of Buds on ice reflected. A metaphor for a reflection on my life.